From:
Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 2000 15:09:18 -0800
On Mon, 10 Jan 2000, Butts, Jennifer wrote:
>Maybe I misunderstood this post/reply, but I don't believe that something
>that is not self sufficient must be considered a possession.  I think
most, if not all, mothers would not consider their baby or young child as
>a possession, and it can not survive on its own.  We fully care for our
>children for an average of 18 years, yet I do not think any parent
>considers that they own them, yet a ferret that we care for for only 5 or
>10 is our possession?

A very significant difference is that the child is expected to become an
adult.  A ferret is never expected to become "an adult" and able to care
for themselves.  Parents choose (well mostly) whether or not to bring a
child into the world or to adopt one that is already here.  Parents through
that choice obligate themselves to provide a certain about of care.

Whether the ferret is treated with the "best care and love" is irrelevant
to their being a possession or not.

So now a real sticky question in deciding to make ferrets "not
possessions".  If it is decided to make animals "equal" to children then
you can not "buy" them.  That would mean breeders and shelters could not
sell their ferret kits.  It would be far far harder to adopt out a ferret
in trouble.  You can't just say "hey I'm too poor to properly care for a
child" and put them in a shelter so easily so equivalently you couldn't do
right by the ferret by placing them in another home.

But if you allow animals to remain possessions that problem is solved.

If you decide mice or chickens are not possessions but are "equal" beings
then you could not feed a mouse or chicken to your ferret.

But again if you allow animals to remain possessions that problem is
solved.

And also there is nothing in 'law' that requires a parent to love their
child nor the owner of an animal to love that animal.  You can not
legislate emotions - with touches directly on the great bill of rights of
the United states with its freedom of speech.  Not exactly but close.

b&d
--
bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets