From:
Chana Rosen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jul 2001 03:14:48 EDT
Yes, certainly someone who is allergic to cats and other furry creatures
could be allergic to ferrets.

Here's my suggestion...perhaps you have a friend with a ferret and you
could "borrow" a ferret for a day or two to try it out?  Better if it comes
to YOUR place instead of taking your roommate to their house, because in
their house there could be other allergens, so when your roommate starts
sneezing you both could automatically assume that it's the animals, but
perhaps it's the floor polish or air freshener!  You never know about
these things.

Point to ponder: my experience has shown that often an "allergy" is formed
when someone doesn't *like* something.  Rather than risk confrontation and
arguement by saying "I hate/I'm afraid of animals, and don't want you to
bring one into our home," many people find that saying "oh, I have this
allergy..." avoids conflict.  If that is the case, there isn't much that
can be done with the present roommate.

You've "finally" moved into a place that allows pets...but how long will
you be living there?  7-12 years?  Because that's how long ferrets live.
Where will you go after you leave your current place?  Where will the
animals go?

Something to think about.

Take care,
Chana