Date:
Wed, 5 Nov 2008 11:17:44 EST
Hullo

Just a heads up about adopting a ferret when you already have dogs and
kids. Ferrets must be supervised at all times with children. Kids can
play a little rough. Ferrets can bite back in defense. Kids leave doors
open. They dash around without looking where they are going. Ferrets
are idiots with no fear. They walk right under your foot as it comes
down. I have to shuffle in my home. No ...NOT kidding.

Kids also leave out toys that create blockage in ferrets. Surgery is at
least $600...up to over a $1000 here to get out the rubber or whatever
is stuck. How are you going to make sure all the toys your kids play
with will not end up in a ferrets mouth?

"Oh. We have a ferret now. You cannot play anymore with any of your
rubberish toys or small toys. "Well, you know. That's not fair. You
cannot do that, can you? I mean, I don't have kids. But I don't know
how you could do that.

You know how careful you are when you have a baby. You watch everything
like a hawk. Only certain toys can be played with. Nothing with eyes
that the baby could chew on and swallow. You know? It is like that with
a ferret. They are like babies in many ways. It is one of the reasons
so many on this site love them.

Dogs have been a recent discussion here, as another dog killed yet
another ferret, this time of a beloved member of the FML . It was
apparently a dog that had lived with ferrets for years. . Dogs must
be supervised with a ferret, one could argue. But one bite is all it
takes. It happens so quickly. Then there is nothing you can do. It
is better to keep them separated in the opinion of many.

Kids and dogs together sounds like you already have your hands full.
Maybe the kids could volunteer at a shelter. You could learn so much
that way. And you could see how expensive they end up being.( Not the
kids. You already know that. LOL.) And check out all the poop on the
floor. You really want to clean THAT up too? The litter that tracks in
your carpet? The huge cage you need that takes up a large chunk of a
room?

Ferrets need distemper shots. They need nails trimmed, teeth cleaned.
They are considered geriatric by the age of 3. At least, according to
Midwest Bird and Exotic Animal Hospital.

You need to find an exotic vet who will be able to give the monthly
Lupron shots of about $60 each month. You will need to be able to
afford that, and the dogs and the kids. Or it may be heart disease. You
will need about $300 for the blood tests and exam and x-rays and first
meds. Or it may be insulinoma. You can keep your ferret happy and alive
for extra years making soup for it, and giving med's twice a day. Time,
$, love.

It is like having a baby that ends up in the hospital. Only you are the
hospital. And you really have to love your baby to do it all. It is a
big commitment. It is a lot of money.

Their food is expensive. You have to have litter boxes in most every
corner and still understand that every ferret is different. Hitting
the litter box 80 percent of the time is a great deal. You may not be
as lucky.

When you write that you are willing to give a small amount of money to
adopt, it sends up a tiny red flag in my head.

I kid you not. These guys cost if you are going to care for them
properly. The last 3 years of their life most likely will be the most
expensive. Worrying about being able to pay a shelter to adopt a ferret
may mean you really are not in financial shape for one of these
animals.

I wish you only the best. I hope I have not offended in any way. I am
NOT a good writer, as any who know me will quickly tell you. ( I can
see many of you sipping your coffee nodding your heads.)

I adore rats. And if you are looking for a nice animal that is small..
a dumbo rat is just adorable. They rarely bite...unlike your mouse or
hamster. And when your ferret becomes adrenal, which is highly likely,
it will have a bald tail like the rat. And it will have a bald body and
major health issues without the Lupron or surgeries. The rat will look
cuter....Unless you see with the eyes of ferret love.

Do what is best for the ferret. May God grant you the wisdom to make
the right decision. To help gain that insight and wisdom...look at the
Ferret Health List and read up on all the medical issues involving
ferrets.