From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Oct 2000 01:04:55 EDT
Like so many other concerned ferret owners, I, too, am concerned about
independently wealthy individuals traveling across the entire country,
buying every ferret they can get their hands on.  Then they attend each and
every ferret show in the country, something very few other ferret owners,
if any, can afford to do.  Even if we could afford to do that, would
sensible individuals really want to?  Why are the Coles so obsessed with
entering so many ferrets at each show and winning as many ribbons and
trophies as possible?

Yes, they are winning ribbons and trophies.  But we all could do much
better if we had the money to enter countless ferrets in each show.  The
Coles are monopolizing ferret shows by entering 40 or more ferrets in each
show and, apparently, with their newest purchases, they will be entering
many more.  There is no way that this can be described as being fair to
those of us who have but one or two ferrets, or for that matter, small
breeders who produce quality ferrets rather than ferrets in large numbers.
There are very few among us, if any, who can compete with the Kit and
Caboodle Ferretry and their big money operation.

I am truly amazed that the sanctioning bodies and individuals running the
shows all appear to be catering big time to the Coles.  Why do the Coles
feel that categories should now be set up for all of their ferrets that
don t appear to conform with the already established standards?

Perhaps, it is now time for both the sanctioning bodies and those running
the ferret shows to consider establishing a separate category for the big
time exhibitors.  That would include any breeder with one hundred (100) or
more ferrets, or even anyone desiring to enter more than (ten) 10 ferrets
in a particular show.  The private individuals and small breeders with
limited resources would then be in an amateur category, allowing them to
compete fairly with others in their class.

Indeed, I do believe it is now time to stop the insanity!

Thank you for your time.

[RH]