From:
"Steven D. Bodofsky" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jun 1996 23:36:56 EDT
Part 3

LYMPHOSARCOMA - sometimes called Lymphoma

In October 1994, my beautiful chocolate male, Butter, was diagnosed with
Multi-focal Lymphosarcoma.

We started him on Prednisone to hopefully prolong his life and keep the
cancer from spreading too fast.  I had considered chemotherapy but though he
would suffer.

To make a long story short, in February 1996, after receiving rave reports
from a friend regarding her ferret, Max, who had Lympho in his chest, we
decided to give chemotherapy a try.

Our oncologist is Dr. Ann Jeglum in West Chester, PA, (610) 692-6272. On my
first visit I was armed to the teeth with questions: any side effects, will
he feel pain, etc.

Dr. Jeglum answered all of my questions and Butter started his treatment.
After four months of treatment I am thrilled to report that Butter is doing
great (marked improvement after the first treatment) and feeling better than
I can remember.  Max, whose tumor was pressing against his heart and lungs,
had marked improvement in his breathing within 24 hours of receiving his
FIRST chemotherapy treatment and is currently doing very well.

If you live in PA I would suggest that you contact Dr. Jeglum for a
consultation and examination.  She will take an x-ray, blood sample and do a
needle aspiration to test for cancer cells if it is warranted.  If you don't
live in PA you may want to contact Dr. Jeglum and ask for the name of an
oncologist in your area.  (The cost of treatment has been surprisingly low).
The length of treatment is based on each individual case.

It is important that your vet rule out fatty deposits which can mimic Lympho
causing enlarged neck, underarm and behind the knee areas.

After seeing the results in Butter and Max, I would not hesitate to take any
of our babies in for treatment as needed.  By the way, Max is almost 8 and
Butter is 6.

The only side effects of the chemotherapy so far is that Butter who was
almost totally bald, has grown the most beautiful, velvety soft fur and the
huge tumor on the end of his tail is almost gone.

Love from Diane and the kids,

Fido, Spot, Butter, Lady, Shark, Sidney, Rosie, Mookie, Ren, Stimpy, Roxanne
(Zana), Sunny (Puff), Ketta, Bandit, Bonnie and Clyde

And in memory of,

Nikki (Bear)
Rover
Mickey