From:
Chana Rosen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jul 2001 20:30:30 EDT
I read with dismay the post about the appalling conditions in the pet
store, where Debi (?) bought all 5 to rescue them...I can certainly
understand the reasoning, but may I suggest that that practice only serves
to ENCOURAGE the pet store to continue selling ferrets?  Now they will
simply turn around and order five MORE ferrets to replace the ones that
were sold, and the cycle will begin again.  I will assume that the next 5
won't be treated any better than the 5 she just bought...

I agree with other people who wrote in and said to contact the local news,
the local animal control, the Fish & Game Department, to start a letter
writing campaign, etc.  If it is a national chain, their corporate
headquarters should be contacted, also.

Secondly, about the ferret shelter with the strict policies...

Why "no children under 12" ?  Is that only for these particular ferrets, or
for any ferret in your shelter?  I guess that makes sense in certain cases,
but can't imagine why it would be applied to all situations.  Of course,
I'm hardly an objective observer, as I have 6 children under the age of
12...but, for the record, all except for 2 of them are *great* with animals
(the youngest two, obviously, need constant supervision).

Have a great day, all!

Chana