From:
Anne Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Nov 1997 08:07:49 -0500
One of our ferrets has been "chipped" (we are thinking of doing the rest as
well).  We had the vet do it.  In our case we had a very large, very
muscular, very strong hob chipped, and between us and the vet we didn't feel
comfortable trying to hold him while chipping him, so the vet gave him just
a touch of gas- enough to make him woozy for about three minutes- just long
enough to do the insertion.  Afterwards we have had no problem whatsoever.
The spot where they do the insertion immediately closes up, and other then
occaisionally feeling the chip (which you pretty much have to look for) you
would never know it.

Some shelters are starting to chip every ferret that comes in.  I know
Starfire does, and I think that Alicia Drakiotes might be doing it as well.
Great idea- one that we've been tossing around, however no decision has yet
been made.

One of the biggest problems is that there are 5 different chips and readers,
and they don't all read each other.  My local animal control uses the AKA
Home Again system, which is why I decided on that one.  For obvious reasons,
it made sense.  I have been very happy with their registration process, and
they were very accomodating when my ferret's paperwork was stolen.  I called
them, and they noted the file that no changes were to be made on ownership
without my sending a copy of my drivers license as proof with a written
change request.

-Anne