From:
Date:
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 10:31:03 -0800
>From:    [log in to unmask]
>Subject: More on colloidal silver
>- Temple University School of Medicine conducted studies of colloidal
>  silver

I can neither confirm nor dispute this issue from the Temple web site.
At least this institution exists unlike others cited.

>- Extensive research into the curative properties of silver has been
>conducted for many years at the Upstate Medical Center, Syracuse University,
>Syracuse, N.Y. under the direction of Dr. Robert Becker, M.D.

Here's where you lose credibility.  There is *NO* Upstate Medical Center,
Syracuse University, Syracuse, N.Y.  Syracuse University as I alreday
pointed out has a nursing school.  SUNY at Syracuse which is NOT the same
thing has an Upstate Medical Center. This center is also called the SUNY
Health Science Center apparently.
        http://www.syracuse.edu/        http://www.hscsyr.edu/

Robert O. Becker was one of the authors of "The Body Electric :
Electromagnetism and the Foundation of Life" and wrote "Cross Currents :
The Promise of Electromedicine, the Perils of Electropollution" in '87
and '91.  He is an orthopedic surgeon who has been interested in
"relationship between human physiology and electricity".
        http://home.unicom.net/~kpurtell/kthings/frmst_becker.htm

The ONLY pages I find that reference him in conjunction with colloidal
silver are the same ones that place him at that non-existant institution.
There *MIGHT* be something in the second book that mentions colloidal
silver but I find no reference to it off of the colloidal hype pages.
All I get as a description is "Discusses the effectiveness of alternative
healing methods: hypnosis, biofeedback, homeopathy, etc.; also, how our
bodies are being adversely affected by man-made electromagnetic fields
(power lines, computers, microwaves)." Some of the research that initally
described problems with EMF has been disproven.  Nothing I find leads at
all to supposing this Dr Becker has conducted "extensive research into the
curative properties of silver" has described.

Robert E. Becker edited or wrote several books on Alzhemier Disease
including "Alzheimer Disease : Current Research in Early Diagnosis" in the
'90s.  I find nothing connecting him to colloidal silver.

>- Dr. Bjorn Nordenstrom, of the Larolinska Institute, Sweden

This doctor is Professor Emeritus of Diagnostic Radiology.  He is the
author of "Biologically Closed Electric Circuits".  His interests lie in
some alternative approachs such as accupuncture but the primary emphasis is
like Dr. Becker in electrical forces and their relationship to health.  I
               find no mention of colloidal silver.
               http://www.ursus.se/publications.htm

>- Dr. Henry Crooks (author, Use of Colloids in Health-Disease)

I found absolutely nothing on this gentleman.

>- Peter Lindemann reports in his 1997 article, Colloidal Silver, A Closer
>Look

This gentleman is one who promotes making your own colloidal silver (after
buying a 'generator' from him that is.)  I found nothing that gave him
any credentials beyond designing and selling this electrolysis machines.
Similarly low tech electrolysis machines can be used to remove rust from
farm equipment.         http://www.elixa.com/silver/lindmn.htm

Since Ela's research missed the connection between colloidal silver and
proteins that same page describes what that means.  There are four
DIFFERENT things sold as colloidal silver.
    The second is called "mild silver protein." This product chemically
    binds microscopic particles of silver to a protein molecule.  It is
    usually found in concentrations between 20-40 ppm.  Its appearance may
    be transparent-clear or amber.  The other three are also discussed on
    that page.

>conducted in part by the Institute of Microbiology in Rome, Italy

I found a such named institute as part of the Swiss Federal Institue of
Technology.  Their search mechanism was under repair.  But they do not
seem to be researching any topics related to colloidal silver.
        http://www.micro.biol.ethz.ch/indexx.htm

I found a such named institute in the Czech Republic.  They also don't
seem to be researching pharmaceuticals.  Just the biologicals.
        http://www.site.cas.cz/MBU.html

I found a such named institute in Bulgaria.  None of their faculty
seemed to have an emphasis that would have included colloidal silver.
        http://194.141.0.9/BulRTD/biolog/micrbio2.html

I found a such named institute in Austria.  They are not responsible
for the 'cited' document.
        http://www.kfunigraz.ac.at/imkwww/publis.html

Same for Germany, Rutgers, Taiwan but I could not find reference to such
an institution in Rome Italy.  There is the Institute of Veterinary
Microbiology In Italy but in Parma not Rome. Not their research either.

For what its worth...
I research silver at the National Institutes of Health.  I found that
they consider silver solutions (which would include colloidal silver
preparations) to be hazardous materials in disposal.
        http://www.niehs.nih.gov/odhsb/wasteman/intro/silver.htm

-bill