Date:
Sat, 18 Aug 2001 22:06:53 EDT
Thank you to Pam, Kathy, Erica, Lynn our FML bird woman, Jodie, Kara, Gina,
Nancy, and Georgia-who always makes me laugh- for helping to save a life.

But especially my thanks to BIG for allowing the bird blurb to go through.
If it were not for FML-I never would have known I have a racing pigeon that
is hand raised, or know what it eats, that it cannot be in drafts, or all
the info that made it possible to find a home.

Until I knew what this being was --I was dead meat.  The bird was dead
meat.  Not a single vet would see it.  They don't see wild birds here in
Illinois, I was told.  You guys saved a life.  BIG--thank you for this
with all my heart.

A possible gift for all of you in return:

One of the things I learned calling vets to no avail may save the life of a
ferret for one of you.  I did not realize it, but apparently, a number of
people call the vet saying they have taken in a lost animal that needs to
be looked at---and they expect the vet to do this free of charge.

I don't know how many receptionists on the phone said they would not see me
because they feared this.  Finally-one receptionist told me that this is
why she would not see the bird.  She ASSUMED I would be expecting a small
business to care for an animal at no charge.

Sooo-if you find a stray ferret(or other animal) and call the vet--be sure
you state that you will of course be paying for the exam and any treatment
or tests decided on.  I will not know how many people turned me down
because the person answering the phone had had a lot of bad experiences,
and wrongly asumed I was not going to pay to care for the bird..

Tomorrow is --paint my mothers living room day.  So forgive me if I do not
return e-mails now for awhile.  I have a 13 hour work day Monday since I
spent the morning finding help for the bird, and a 3 hour drive each way
for the bird on Tuesday after work.

Yaaawwwwn
Lisette and the ferret beauties

[Moderator's note: Generally I do NOT allow FML posts about animals other
than ferrets.  But I'm lightening up a bit - partly by request, partly by
altering how I view the "important personal news" guideline and partly by
realizing how few posts of such a nature are attempted anyhow.

In other words, if non-ferret companion in a *subscriber's* "possesion"
(and, yes, a significant other is a non-ferret companion :-)) is in
serious need of help of some sort, I'll consider the posting.  I often
refer people to other lists first, but if the FML is a "last resort" or
time is critical, then I think that's the least that can be done for
long-time subscribers.  Most of us realize how overwhelming that occasional
emergency situation with our precious critters can be, right?  BIG]