From:
Barbara Griswold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 May 2005 14:49:41 EDT
I'd like to add a completely different way that my vet uses for
euthanasia that I swear by.  Instead of any "sticks" anywhere, my kids
have been given 1 ml. of socum, sub-q.  Socum, from what I understand,
is a sedative that they use prior to going under for surgery.  By giving
that much, it's really an over-dose.  It puts them to sleep easily and
death comes within 5-30 minutes.  My Zak was so ready to leave that he
succumbed within 3 minutes and only using 1/2 ml.  However, my Hope
passed over back on January 21st.  It took her 35 minutes in my arms,
which probably said that her circulation was really slow.  However, it
gave me time to hold her, talk to her and love on her despite her being
comatose.  There's no pain from any sticking in the heart or liver.
She enjoyed a lap of Ferretone while receiving the sub-q.

As I took her to our dog's vet (my ferret vet is 2 hours away) because
she needed to say good-bye quickly, he had never done euthanasia on a
ferret.  I told him what to do, he did it well.  However, he did offer to
give a heart stick after about 10 minutes.  I refused.  Some people want
it over and done with quickly; I, on the other hand, took that time for
myself and her to say good-bye.  For me, it was a god-send.  She was in
no pain and just slept until her little heart stopped.

I've been warned very time that it was possible that they could have some
physical responses to dying.  I believe I was told the same thing when we
had our Rottweiler put down last year.  I've had many animals that I've
had euthanasia done on over the years, and never have I experienced
anything but peace and an easy passing.

Perhaps a vet could comment on this method?

Barb and her 5 whirling dervishes...Cher, Jake, Kate, Sam and Tess.
Missing terribly, Flo, Zak, Gus, Bren and Hope