From:
Sandy Ortutay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 2007 06:22:02 -0800
I too have seen the proof of the emotional bonds these little bundles
of fluff share.

A few years back, after we had decided Lucifer needed a friend, ( I
felt bad about us being at work all day and her being alone in her
hammocks), we brough home Kyba. They bonded instantly. Where ever
Lucifer was, Kyba was. They shared hidey holes, brought treats to each
other and acted as blankets to each other. I was amazed watching them.

Fast foward about 7 months later. Kyba has somehow gotten out of the
fuzzy playroom and into our bathroom where he found a stray Sudafed
tablet that we must have accidently dropped. He overdosed. A 2am rush
to the ER vet, he was in full blown seizures. We nearly lost him. The
vets kept him for 2 days. At home, Lucifer went bezerk and then became
very very upset and depressed that her bestest friend was not there.
She tore the cage apart, refused to sleep in "their " hammock, ( I had
to place another hammock in the cage to get her to sleep). For hours on
end, she'd just lay there looking at me and back at the hammock like as
if to say " hey mom, where is he, I've looked and looked". It broke my
heart watching my baby, who hours before was bouncing and war dancing
to be lying there like a bump When Kyba finally returned home, we had
to place him in a "recovery" cage for a few days. We place both cages
side by side so Lucifer knew he was there and they could touch noses
through the bars. Lucifer immediately perked up. I had to move her
hammock as close to the edge of the cage as possible and same with
Kyba. While they were sleeping, through the bars of the cage, they kept
their little paws touching. After that incident, we decided to reduce
the stress to go with Ferret Math, and brought home Shea. Again, an
instant bond. Shea was just about 4-5 months old and had been beaten
severely and was terrified. Lucifer sensed his fear and went over to
him and just curled her little body around him and cuddled up to him.
Now, it like watching the Three Amigo's.

For those who think that is just ferret to ferret bonding, it goes soo
far beyond that. My 3 were best buddies with our cat Loki. Loki had
become suddenly very ill and passed away. One by one, each ferret came
to his body, kissed his face, laid down on him as if to say " see ya
later my friend" and went on their way. It took a good week before I
saw a war dance or heard a dook. I have always let any of my fur babies
say goodbye to a friend and allowed them to greive in their own way.

I mean think about it, if ferrets don't have emotions, what is the
Dance of Joy? What is all the sighing? What is tail wagging?? These
are all signs of EMOTIONS. Bristle tail, speed bumps, kisses, the hee
hee's, the list goes on and on. If these guys can show happiness,
depression, sadness, fear, anger and vuneralbilty who are we to say
what else they can or cannot feel. Unless you speak ferret ( and I
haven't met a person who does yet), we will never know what goes on in
those little heads of theirs. Till the day we do, we will remain their
slaves happily cleaning litter boxes and giving these guys all the love
they so rightfully deserve to receive it back in kisses and war dances

Sandy Z
and the Troublesome Threesome
Lucifer( the ring leader)
Kyba (the executioner)