From:
"Mary L. McCarty" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Apr 1997 18:14:30 -0400
I had a scare the other day when I took all my boys (Fatso, Skinny, Bear and
Maggie) to the vet for distemper shots.  Bear (5+) and Maggie (6+) were also
getting blood work done.  Everyone else was fine, but poor Bear had a very
bad reaction to the Fervac-D (I wasn't sure at first if it was from the
anathesia or the shot).  My vet said that he wasn't sure why Fromm-D
(Galaxy, now, right?) was not the "approved" distemper shot anymore, because
in his experience Fromm-D caused less negative reactions in ferrets.  Has
anyone else noticed or heard this?  Why is Fromm-D (or Galaxy) no longer
the "approved" shot?  Sorry if this is old news, but I have only been
subscribing for a few weeks.  I'd appreciate any feedback.

>I live in State College, PA, where in my opinion people are pretty educated
>and pretty easy going (Mary M., do you agree???)  Anyway, recently someone
>put in our local supermarket a card, you know, one of those wanted/for sale
>cards on a bulletin board in stores?  It was advertising ferrets for sale.
>A few days later, someone had written on it BABY KILLERS over the card.

Yes, the people in State College seem to be fairly well educated, and from
my experience very non-hostile to ferrets.  Whenever I meet anyone that
hasn't seen a ferret before, I tend to try and "educate" them as best I can
(if they ask about them).  I have had really good results, so far.  Last
Halloween, I had Fatso at work with me all day (he helped with my costume)
and everyone at work just loved him.  He is the most laid back, calm and
friendly of my boys.  Strangers seem to like him better because he is also
extremely light colored (standard champagne).  I have had people refer to my
darker fuzzies as being "scarier looking" - they have masks and Fatso's is
VERY faint if non-existant.

I didn't see the bulletin board add, but it is really disappointing to see
such ignorance. :-(

>From:    Alicia K Drakiotes <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Gabriel  UPDATE

Patrick and I are planning on being at the New Cumberland show and would
love to see Gabriel!  This is our first ferret show and I am so excited to
get my boys out there and to meet more ferret people.

Condolences to everyone out there with a sick or dying fuzzy.  It about
broke my heart when Bear was so sick from the shot, I can't imagine what
I'll be like when it's his (or any of my other babies') time....

Mary & Patrick

The fuzzboys.....
Skinny (a.k.a. Odo) - "What d'ya mean I gotta get a bath for some show? No
way, Jose!"
Fatso (a.k.a Podo) - "A show? Will there be cameras? I just LOVE getting my
picture taken!"
Bear - "Mom, I AM NOT going to the vet anymore....don't even think about
it...."
Maggie - "Why can't I go to the show, Mom? Huh, huh? Why?"