From:
Claire C <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 2010 08:51:18 -0400
On Apr 5, 2010, at 2:00 AM, FERRET-L automatic digest system wrote:

> http://history.fnal.gov/wildlife.html#Felicia

Interesting that Fermilab in 1971 confused the domestic ferret with the
Black Footed Ferret. The article just above the report of her death is
intitled "Everybody likes our Felicia..." The middle paragraph says:

"Adding to the store of information on ferrets in general, one question
and answer article about Felicia's ancestors reports that the
Department of Interior considers the ferret an endangered species and
that, in 1970, action was taken to save the ferret population. A native
of Africa, the ferret is now officially welcome in the State of South
Dakota which has signed a cooperative agreement with the Interior
Department to protect the ferret on 42,000 acres of the Badlands."

I guess the ferret and BFF both may well have roots in Africa, just as
the human race originated there and then spread over the world ... but
I wouldn't exactly call a European or an Indian (of either sort) "a
native of Africa". Does is the same confusion that persists in
California, making ferrets unwelcome there?

-Claire