From:
"Ortrillian Orthae`Rahi" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Dec 2003 12:15:38 -0600
I've had a really bad week.  Tavi had to be set to rest.  I had been
expecting her passing for a couple of years actually be cause of her age
and illnesses.  I had time to prepare myself but it was still hard to let
go.  She woke me up one morning last week crying.  She was having horrid
seizures.  She hadn't played in several months and I just couldn't bear
to keep her in a non-ferret state for my own selfishness & decided to
release her.  She was 10 years old.

Then saturday my poor little Smokey had a terrible accident.  I woke to
find that during the night he had destroyed his 2 level hammock and some
how got caught and tangled in the seams.  It was a relatively new hammock
and I can't understand how it fell apart so easily.  When I found him he
was barely alive.  My boyfriend had to cut him out of the mess and at
that point I knew he wasn't going to make it.  We rushed him to the
emergency vet but there was nothing that they could do for him.  I pray
that he didn't suffer in that state for hours on end.  I heard Tavi
crying, why didn't I hear him, maybe he couldn't cry, I don't know.  He
was just over a year old.

He was my boyfriend's first ferret & he is devistated by what's happend.
Some people think "it's just a ferret" but if they have never had one
there is no way they could ever understand how much we love them or any
of our pets for that matter.  All of my other ferrets have had to be put
to rest because of medical reasons.  This is the first time one has died
to something else and I don't think I will ever forget finding him like
that, nor will I forgive myself for his needless death.  I find myself
checking on Skooder and Daisy every 30 minutes now.  I've lost 4 in the
last year and a half, the last two were within a week of eachother also,
I couldn't bear to lose another.

I warned him that Tavi would be waiting for him at the Rainbow Bridge at
full strength now & ready to clean his ears.

Laura
Missing Pharoah, Jasper, Booger, Vex, Tavi & Smokey.