From:
sukie crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 2004 13:04:34 -0500
>After 6 years of reaction-free distemper vaccinations, I would be
>inclined to go back to the "wrong" vaccine.

I'd have to sadly disagree.  The non-ferret vaccines may have had no
beneficial effect whatsoever, thus giving a false sense of safety around
Canine Distemper.

What COULD make sense would be to write to the manufacturer of the one
which produced no reactions, point out that Wall Street Journal reporter
Ken Wells (I think I am recalling his name right but check me on that.)
has estimated that of the 30 billion (Yes, with a "B".) spent annually on
domestic companion animals in the U.S.  that about 2 billion ("B" again)
is spent on ferrets.  Then let them know of your experience with their
vaccine and ask them to test it for use in ferrets.  Of course, it may be
that those just were lucky years with lucky individuals.  After all, most
never react to vaccines.  In almost 22 years with ferrets in our family
we've had I guess 4 who ever reacted to vaccines.

Shirley, please, name the vaccine and manufacturer you mean.  Also, how
common is CDV there in general?