From:
Derek & Amy Flemming <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Feb 1998 11:21:55 -0500
>I just recently purchased an albino kit.  I'm trying to decide whether I
>made a mistake in my purchase or not.  It seems that he believes that he
>is an attack trained ferret.  My other 2 sables were never like this...

I am sure the owner of these ferrets are very frazzled dealing with the nip
issue.  But please think about what you are saying!  We all know the only
difference in albinos and sables is caot & eye color.  A ferret's
personality is not indicated by outside appearance - are peoples?

You didn't tell us how old this kit is.  Ferret kits go thru "terrible twos"
and often test their owners.  As long as this is nipping and not bitting, I
don't think you will have a problem.  As a breeder, I have experienced this
and discovered it goes away as the ferret gets older.  It will go away as
long as you are not ENCOURAGING it.  Do not rough house to the point that he
nips you.  You must let him know what is acceptable.

Don't give him the chance to nip you.  If he is out and trys to do a "drive
by" (nip and run) to your feet - tell him no as he approaches the nipping
range.  Get your feet out of there.  Don't leve feet dangeling off the
couch, don't stick your fingers near his mouth, etc.

I think you will see him get over this stage.  Your sables probably were
not as full of fire as him - enjoy it!