From:
Ferret Rescue of Tidewater <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Sep 1996 16:27:07 -0400
Ok, so I left some stuff out - the USDA report is on file in regards to
Marshall Farms and can be obtained through the Freedom of Information Act -
or by calling/writing the Humane Society of Rochester & Monroe County.  This
report outlines violations of MF ranging from broken rusty bars protruding
into the cages to grossly unsanitary veterinary procedures during
spays/castrations and descenting surgeries.  MF never responded to the
report, which is inspected annually (and failed for the past three years)
for standards of animal care.

Inbreeding predisposes an animal to certain defects and susceptibilities to
some types of cancer.  For instance, the recessive genes are more likely to
become "dominant" when interbreeding occurs - some of the nicer recessives
are blue eyes in humans - but can be as bad as Crohn's disease or breast
cancer.  The reference to the british monarchy was in regards to the
Stuarts' not the Victorians.  The Stuarts were the line most closely
associated with hemophilia in the male line.  But your statement is correct,
Jeff , when you said that inbreeding can be used to eliminate genetic
defects by removing the animals from the breeding pool.  But there is no
evidence that MF is taking these kind of steps.  Marshall Farms themselves
advertised last winter about their genetics.  The add read, "The secret is
out - MARSHALL FARMS!  bred to be genetically pure".  In my opinion, that
means genetically alike.  As far as the one year old ferret is concerned,
even in perfect conditions, aberrations occur - thats why some MF ferrets
are healthy and do not develop any major problems - but I believe that the
problem lies with their inability to be responsible breeders and maintain a
genetically diverse (open) colony.  That can explain why some ferrets are
more likely to develop problems than others.

Genetics may not be the be-all end-all problem, but it sure seems to
statistically increase the chances.  I guess its sorta like this: If the
tendency toward melanoma ran in your family and your doctor told you to stay
out of the sun, would you gamble on the probabilities that you may not
develop melanoma?  or would you stay out of the sun?  If the probability is
there, how difficult can it be to track the animals lines and take animals
out of the breeding pool who pass on "bad" genes?

I'm not "picking" on MF, I simply feel that based on what I know, that what
they are doing is WRONG. If I found out another breeder was acting in this
way, I wouldn't hesitate to call them to the carpet.

Lisa