Date:
Fri, 28 Apr 1995 16:20:10 -0400
I have a strange situation which I really need the list vets advice on.
I have a one yr.  old Marshall Farms ferret, male, named weehawk (has
current distemper and rabies, 2 1/2 lbs, about 25 in.  long).  He has
been very "interested" in my female ferret, also MF, who shows no
interest in him in that way, and is very annoyed by all of this neck
biting and rear end sniffing.  Weehawk has been having erections, and has
been dribbling off and on, so he is wet a good deal of the time.  When I
read the post about blocked bladder, I was worried about the similarity
in symptoms, he is wetting a little most of the time, but he is not sore,
and is eating, drinking, peeing and dumping regularly.  I did take him to
our local vet, who is trying to become more ferret knowledgeable, but is
still not up to speed on them.  She does not think that he has an
infection, and does think that maybe there is some remaining testicular
tissue, although she did not feel anything when she palpitated him.  I
was going to have blood drawn in a week to test for heartworms anyway, so
she is trying to find out what she should or could test the blood for to
see if there are signs that he is a whole male, or has some of the
hormones in his system.  So what I really need is:
1. Any suggested blood tests, or results we should look for?
2. If these are positive, what would you suggest, surgery, or will it
   hurt to leave him partially whole?
3. Is there any other disease that might cause a this activity?
4. Any other things which I should ask them to check for or do?  There
   is an ultrasound at another practice in the state, so we can take him
   to them if that would be better, but my vet does not have that capability.

Is there anyone else out there with a MF ferret that doesn't know that
he was fixed?  Thank you for any and all advice/help/tips :)
Silk thanks you too, she is really sick of being chewed and jumped on,
I have split the condo so that he can't get to her, but they still
have to share the playroom, and most of the time seem fine, but then
he gets these urges....
Sorry so long, but I am very worried/confused!!!
Krystal Sewell, Weehawk the Randy and Silk the Pursued
2 Otterside Ct.
Middlebury, VT 05753
802-388-3586
[log in to unmask]  or [log in to unmask]