From:
Eric Corbett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 May 2005 11:53:16 +0100
>Date:    Fri, 6 May 2005 14:55:15 -0400
>From:    sukie crandall <[log in to unmask]>
>
>Putting it in the ear tends to be avoided these days because a
>?FEW ferrets had irritation and because it is just as effective NOT
>doing that.  So, it becomes best to not do it, but not an issue to
>panic about if it happens by accident.

I can only suppose the word "panic" has a different dictionary definition
in North America than in does here in England.

Certainly the word "research" seems to have.  Instead of regurgitating
old information from Lewington, I would suggest that it might have been
more instructive to check the facts directly with the manufacturer.  I
repeat, clinical tests have shown that Frontline is not particularly
effective against ear mites.  And in clinical trials conducted by the
manufacturer on using Frontline in the ears of both dogs and cats, where
the ear drums have not been intact this treatment has caused neurological
signs.  Not *might* have caused, *has* caused.

Let's remember as well that the use of Frontline to treat ear mites when
applied by any route does not conform to either the rules for off label
prescribing that US vets follow, or the cascade of prescribing that UK
vets are legally obliged to follow.  The reason for that quite simply
is that Frontline is not licensed for the treatment of ear mites in any
species.

There are a number of other, safer, clinically established treatments
available for treating ear mites in ferrets.  These other treatments
are all consistent with the off label prescribing rules since they are
effective against and licensed for the treatment of ear mites in other
species.  Using Frontline to treat ear mites is not consistent with those
rules and has the potential to cause ototoxic effects when introduced
into the ear.  These are facts.

Simply pointing out these facts to those who seem determined to ignore
them at whatever cost does not in my mind amount to "panic".  At least,
not in the normal English use of that word anyway.

Eric Corbett