From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jun 2003 22:24:41 -0400
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/06/24/science/24PETS.html?pagewanted=1&8hpib

>Most experts argue that domestication is not easy, because such a
>relatively small number of species have undergone it.  But categories
>have blurred in recent decades.  A number of exotic pets, including
>parrots, freshwater fish, ferrets, even tigers, other big cats and
>wolves, are bred in captivity, meaning that humans have begun to
>direct their evolution through selective breeding.

The article is about wild animals and equates "exotic' with "wild".

We've been subscribing on line; could someone with the hard copy post
the address for Letters to the Editor for the Science Section?  We'll
look, too.

Please, contact them with politely delivered information (NOT nasty
flames since those backfire).

They need to be taught a bit of natural history, perhaps sent copies of
some of the art works with ferrets in them or info on early mentions of
ferrets as domesticated animals such as those from Ancient Rome.