From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jun 1997 10:15:47 -0500
Just think...

If every ferret owner sent just one dollar for every ferret they owned we
could easily fund the bat rabies shedding study (just like for the raccoon
study and the skunk study).

And then we can all send another dollar per ferret for the dog rabies virus
study in ferrets.

And then we can all send ANOTHER dollar per ferret for the cat rabies virus
study in ferrets.

And then we can all send ANOTHER dollar per ferret for the aardvark rabies
virus study in ferrets.

And then we can all send ANOTHER dollar per ferret for the elephant rabies
virus study in ferrets.

If you're not getting the point by now, the post by Dave Les was right on
the money.  There have already been more studies done using more rabies
variants for ferrets than were used to establish the quarantine periods for
dogs and cats.  How much is enough?  How long are we going to let them make
us chase this carrot on a stick?  If they sday that they cannot comfortably
quarantine a ferret without more information, FINE, don't quarantine.
Quarantine only applies to animals which are of uncertain risk.  This does
NOT apply to over 97% of ferrets involved in bite and suspected bite
incidents.  I had a conversation with Ms. Chrysler of the Michigan Attorney
General's Office and she said.  "I'm sure we agree that we need to finish
the bat study so that we can stop having these kinds of problems." To which
I replied, "We can stop having these problems any time you people want!"

Remember Quarantine/Kill & Test is the third step in a three step process.

Step 1: Determine whether or not a bite or scratch occurred.  If no bite or
scratch broke the skin then take no action.  If a bite or scratch did break
the skin move on to step 2.

Step 2: Determine whether or not the animal was potentially rabid and
capable of transmitting the disease at the time of the exposure.  If the
answer is no, take no action.  If the answer is yes or uncertain, assess the
degree of risk to the bite victim and, if deemed advisable, begin
post-exposure treatment of the victim.

Step 3: Based on the assesment from step 2 determine whether it is
appropriate to quarantine or test the biting animal.

This is what they are SUPPOSED to be doing based on the very CDC
recommendations they claim to hold so dear (and BTW are required by law to
be doing in Michigan and other places).  Ferrets will continue to die
unnecessarily as long as we continue to let them distract us from the fact
that they are not doing their job when they say that they have to kill and
test because don't have enough data to quarantine.  Quarantine is an option
they have.  Risk assessment is the job they are supposaed to be doing.

For those of you who like being greyhounds and mindlessly chasing after a
goal which is designed to be tempting but impossible to catch, don't forget
to send your dollar per ferret to fund the platypus virus shedding studies.

[FM]