From:
Ann and Howard Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Jul 1995 23:22:40 -0400
To All on the FML

Certain reckless and irresponsible allegations have been made in recent
postings to suggest that LIFE is in some way responsible for ECE being
transmitted through a Maryland breeder.  LIFE is not a breeder organization
and does not certify any breeders.  I feel that LIFE has been wrongfully
attacked.  I don't know why "Rudy" should attack a whole organization
because of what someone in Maryland unaffiliated with LIFE did to him.

Being a LIFE shelter does not confer immunity, that is an absurd remark to
make!

A posting from Bill Killian in FML #1245 stated:
>LIFE certification of a shelter means no more or less than AFA, NAFA or
>any other certification of a shelter.  We are not LIFE certified but only
>because we've never bothered to request certification from them.

Let me tell you a little of what being a LIFE certified shelter does mean,
before you dismiss us out of ignorance.

LIFE shelters are known as Ark Angels.  To become an Ark Angel is not easy
and is far from an empty formality.  First of all, you have to find another
LIFE affiliate willing to go to the trouble of making an on site inspection
of your shelter.Sometimes this entails a great sacrifice on the part of the
inspecting affiliate.  Such was the case when Jeannie Stadtmiller in upstate
NY drove all the way to New Hampshire to inspect Ferret Wise.  This means a
THOROUGH inspection into you and what you do, the vets you use, and the
procedures you follow.

If you pass the first step, the second step is a 4 page questionnaire.  The
questionnaire goes into excruciating detail to make sure that all proper
procedures are followed.  You must have adoption contracts and return
clauses- you must be willing to go to court to enforce them.  You must have
abandonment contracts.  You must keep records of vaccinations and make sure
no animal leaves without them.  You must have information about ferrets that
you hand out at the time of adoption.  You must promote spay/neuter.  You
must be in good standing with your local humane community and ASPCAs.

All LIFE shelters are NO KILL shelters.  You MUST be willing to agree to
"Unannounced inspections" by the local humane community.  This means that at
anytime the local ASPCA can call you up and come over in 30 min.  Sometimes
they just show up at your door.  How many of you could live that way or
would want to?  For your information, this system has been designed along
the lines set out by the ASPCAs.

What does this get the shelter?  They become involved in a network of 15
clubs and 22 shelters that care about each other and agree to work together
and help each other, taking overflow when there is a problem, exchanging
health information and printed material, so that it is available to all.

This also gets the shelter listed in the prestigious Project BREED Rescue
Directory, which is the largest, national breed-specific rescue directory in
the United States.  I can not even begin to tell you what being included in
this directory has done for the status of ferret shelters in this country.
This directory now comes in two volumes, contains tens of thousands of
listings, and has been responsible for many of the shelters gaining access,
respect and "credibility" with their local shelters and humane
organizations.  When ever you can present a "certified shelter" to a humane
organization, if they know the source of the certification, they feel they
can rest easy in sending animals there.  It is just one more step for the
ferret community being taken seriously.  I am the Ferret Coordinator for
Project BREED and I can assure you that any ferret shelter falling below the
guidelines will not make it into the next edition.

There is no other ferret organization in the United States that has a system
of checks such as the ones implemented in the LIFE shelter system.  Our
shelters are full of tireless men and women who work hard at what they do.

Ann Davis, National Coordinator for the League of Independent Ferret
Enthusiasts