From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 14:54:06 -0400
Chris wrote:
>Back in the 60s and 70s before the jill jab and vasectomiesed hobs it
>was not that uncommon for jills to be left in oestrous for five months
>they lost a lot of condition but did not normally die if they were in
>good condition and well fed ( which a lot of ferrets were not ).  At that
>time the average age for a ferret was only 4 to 5

Back then so little was known about vet care for them; heck, so little
was known even in much of the 80s, then folks started donating money to
research for improving vet care for ferrets.  I can recall a number who
reached 7 or 8 in the mid-80s and more since, until a trend to hearing
about younger ones started again.  Now, we have to find out if WS or other
things are part of that negative trend.  Meanwhile, it's important that
research continues.  There is so much that can done for them now-a-days.
It's like the medical changes in the early part of the 20th century for
humans, in terms of improvements in quality of life and longevity!

Yep, strongly agree with you, Bill, that the topic of who does and doesn't
judge for whom should be dropped from this list.  It bothers me that there
are some seem to be trying to blow it up worse.  Then again, we know there
are some who find flame-baiting as a hobby anywhere.  When someone has a
long history of having judged for multiple groups then the person knows
the topic.  even if other things lead to a split with one of the groups.
Let it rest.  The principles have had their say; it's not anyone else's
business.  Personal fights are such a distraction from what matters, aren't
they?

PAX ON LIST!