From:
Julie Dyke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Feb 2007 15:36:35 -0500
>From:    Dee gage <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Doug McKay Ferrets
>
>Seriously, I would like Ohio ferret groups comment on this situation.
>It's in their backyard. Jean Caputo-Lee? Lori Sies? Julie Dyke?
>
>Dee Gage
>West Michigan Ferret Connection

I'm the president of the Heart of Ohio Ferret Association & Rescue.
There is nothing we can do until the county steps in or Doug decides
to surrender the ferrets. We are a rescue and we will not buy ferrets
from Doug or anyone else. HOFA will not help him continue this.

HOFA and other rescues in Ohio have offered to help Doug clean and
repair his property but he doesn't want any help.

Doug and his grand daughters will continue to breed as long as there
is a demand. As soon as the demand is not there he will have no
alternative but to shut down. HOFA would like to see SOS start a "Doug
McKay Fund" because that day will come and the cost to get the ferrets
out of there will be astronomical. It will take a nationwide effort
from every shelter to do this. Shelters in the U.S. are full, have
large vet bills, volunteers are at a premium, and put 1,000 ferrets
on top of that. This rescue effort would make others in the past look
miniscule.

HOFA doesn't like this situation either. Its frustrating but it's just
like Marshall Farms, Path Valley, and other ferret farms. His ferrets
have been outside for 30 years and this year is no different than any
other year. We wish there was a quick fix but there isn't.

Julie Dyke

--
JULIE DYKE
President