Date:
Thu, 03 Nov 1994 10:40:20 -0700
Out of curiosity I just took a look at our MSDS database (Material Safety
Data Sheet, for those who don't know) on WOOD DUST and CEDAR OIL.  Cedar oil
is bad stuff.  However, wood dust is worse.  Wood dust, whether from cedar,
hardood, or softwood, is highly hazardous (CERCLA hazard rating of 3 on a 0-3
scale, NFPA hazard rating of 3 on a 0-4 scale).  All of them may cause
allergic reactions, lung damage, dehydration, lung damage, liver damage,
etc....  Skin contact may cause irritation, blisters, dehydration, and many
more.  It is considered a cancer hazard, though there are mixed opinions as
to it's carcinogen status.

Basically, cedar dust is especially hazardous because of the oils it contains,
but any wood dust of any type is hazardous to some extent.

Kirk Haines
Office of Environmental Health and Safety
University of Wyoming