From:
Margaret Merchant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 May 1997 01:09:20 +0000
Hi Ya'll,

I managed to get some more pooter time away from the ferrets.  Miss Stella
said I had to get off earlier.  And she sure is bossy.

Boob, I er mean, Bob C. wrote:
>Some trivia:  "ffwlbart" is Welsh for "ferret."

Well, I will attempt with my very limited *modern* Welsh book.  Although
Welsh isn't as hard as you think (HA).

ffwlbart = foolbart

It is written with a circumflex accent over the w.  In this case the w is
the vowel in the first half of the word.  The ff is the same as f in
English.  Ditto for l, b and t.  The a in the second syllable, appearing
before an r, makes the a sound with a circumflex also, i.e. as in ball.  It
is a much more phonemic language than English or French.

In case you are wondering: a.  My specialization in English is Folklore with
a minor in Anthropology.  b.  I have already written a few papers on related
topics, which led to my even having a Welsh book (Arthurian legends from
Celtic Myth) and c.  I have a dog, my baby girl in Houston, named Gwynedd
(say Gueeneth).

BTW Bob, why not start a battle for legalization in your own backyard?

The ferret education day in Houston, that Kelly mentioned, went well.  No, I
wasn't there, but got a full report from the club president.  Get well soon
girl!  They were a little crowded since Petco also had a dog and cat rescue
there, but all went fine.  And it seems the dog/cat people get lots of calls
about ferrets, so now they know who to call.  They had many people come out
and ask questions.  One woman brought in a small puppy and asked how she
could introduce it to her ferret.  Noni held up one of her ferrets to the
puppy and it just started licking it all over.  So much for worry!  And yes,
she did tell her not to leave them unattended or anything.  They had Dr.
Hertel on hand to answer tech questions and Bryan, bless your heart, drove
up to aggitate everyone.  Keep up the good work!

In case anyone was wondering why I stay in the club's business, I am
strongly considering moving back to Houston.  I have had an incredible
financial offer from the ex and it has turned out to be pretty lonely up
here.  I couldn't count on all the friends I thought I could when I moved.
I think the current list of reasons to move back is up to 700 or so, per the
Houston gang.  But I do love my English prof and she is world recognized in
her field, so it will be a very hard decision.  Besides, I miss my koi pond.
And my horse.  And well, a lot of other things.

Need to go and research.  Plato still.  Russell still.  Tuesday will be done
(cross your fingers) and I should hit the road soon after.  Just a few days
off before I start school again.  Sigh.

Maggie Mae