From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 May 1996 09:56:49 CST6CDT
O.k.  you got it!  When I bought my house I wanted to give the critters an
outside area they would have 24 hour access to and be safe.  So I rummaged
through pet magazines looking for enclosures and finally developed one of my
own.  We built individual frames that are 3 ft wide x 7 ft tall for the
sides and 3 ft wide x 12 ft tall for top then we stapled aluminium screen to
each of the panels and hammer stapled 1x2 inch welded wire on top of the
screen so that if they scratched through the screen they couldn't get out
through the welded wire.  My patio is concrete but I wanted them to have
grass too so I ran welded wire over a 3 ft x 12 ft section of grass area
from the patio and bolted the wire to the concrete, set up the panels and
bolted tops and sides together and to the back of the house with the back
door leading into the enclosure.  I ran the welded wire that was over the
grassed area under the panels in that section and hammer stapled it up the
outside.  We framed out a screen door area so I have outside access.  I used
safety spring screen door latches (2) to secure the screen and also covered
it with welded wire.  I did not have a solid roof put over top panels as I
wanted them to "feel" like they were outside, not just in another room, but
now I think I should have put a partial solid roof to stop rain and snow in
a small section.  When the patio gets dirty I just pull out the hose,
sprinkle dish soap, grab the broom and spray and sweep!  Cleans up very
nicely and easily.  The key is to make sure all panels fit snuggly together
and any sections not on concrete should have welded wire run over dirt or
grass areas and attached securely so they can't dig under or climb out.  No
gaps allowed!  We used 2x2's to frame the panels and painted them so they
would be protected from the weather.  I also had lattice board placed around
the bottom section to make it look much nicer to the neighbors.  I then had
a small section cut out of the house screen door for the ferrets to go in
and out as they please.  I bought a dog igloo for the ferrets to sleep in
when they were out there and find they really enjoy that.  The screen also
keeps the bugs out!  That was until the dogs got to the screen.  (sigh) Now
I have to replace the screen where the dogs scratched.

The enclosure is 12 ft x 15ft.  Total cost for this little project was
around $800.  Well worth it too!  Hopes this helps!

Hugs to all.  tle (aka Sprite)