From:
Shannon Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Jun 2000 19:08:06 -0600
I would just like to thank the FML for all of the help and information that
I have gotten over the past few months.  I had a scare this past week.  I
thought that my little guy had a possible blockage.  He has never been
sick and he was vomiting and acting very strange.  I was awaken at 4am
by my oldest daughter who was in a total panic.  I phoned the vet on the
second episode of vomiting.  He was very helpful and understood my
concerns.  He gave me as much advice over the phone as possible.  He was
trying to prevent me having to pay an emergency visit fee.  I followed his
instructions for the rest of the night and then took our little guy in
first thing in the morning.  I had a long wait but scared a few people and
their pets in the waiting room.  I just cant figure out why people see a
ferret as scary!!???  I really think that BIG dogs are a lot more scared.
I am telling you it was so funny watching the so called "watchdog" hide
behind his owner upon seeing my little buddy.  And my ferret was in my arms
the entire time!

The main vet was busy in surgery but his associate saw Kodo.  She just
happens to have 3 little fuzzies and home and totally understood my
concerns.  She said that he probably just ate something that didn't agree
with him and that he is a very healthy little guy.  She was surprised that
my little guy weighs 2 and a half pounds.  She asked me where I had become
so informed about diet etc.  and I told her about FML.  She was impressed.
She also told me that she thought that he was a bit spoiled.  (no really??
LOL) She also recommended that I get another ferret to keep him company.
This concerns me a little.  How do I introduce another ferret etc.?  I told
her that the only way that I would get another ferret was to adopt one from
a shelter.  She said that locally there isn't a big problem but she would
put me down as a future adoptive home.  (she works with the local animal
shelter also) I also found something out from a friend last week that the
only pet store in my city buys three five week old ferrets to sell a week
and that they sell them within days.  My town is a little more than 30,000
and mostly military people.  I can only think of the abandoned babies etc.
and when the novelty wears off the will be let free or dropped off at the
animal shelter.  We already have a huge problem with dogs and cats being
abandoned.  So this scares me.  Also is five weeks old normal age for baby
ferrets to be sold.

Again, I would like to thank everyone for all of the good quality
information that I have gotten from the list.

Thanks FML!!!!
S. Morris & the KODO