Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 2000 23:16:25 -0800
FerretGirl wrote:
>I need to know of any PREVENTATIVE measures that I can take to help my 4
>year-old male ferret combat urinary tract infections.  Special Diet,
>adding things to his food, supplements, treatments, ANYTHING!

>The poor little guy spent the weekend in emergency with a urethral
>blockage.  I have also heard that urinary tract infections can be early
>symptoms of adrenal disease... Is this true??  He has NO other symptoms,
>0% hair loss.

A urinary tract infection in a male, 4 years of age is 99% positive
indication of adrenal disease.  Have your vet do an adrenal panel on the
boy and it will show up positive.

I went through this with my Garret..in his last 4 years of life, he had 3
bouts with UTI.  The first time, I shined it on...well..got medical help,
the second time I just had Dr. Katie open him up and remove the bad
adrenal..it was the right and it was heavily afflicted and 5 times its
normal size.  3 years went by and then the UTI happened again...so it had
to be the left adrenal, but due to his age...9 years, I opted for non
surgical treatment.  He lived another year or so and left me this past
spring.....

Again, it is serious vet time about adrenals....

MC