From:
Lesley Colton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Apr 2008 22:44:54 -0400
>From: Margaret Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
>
>Could you give us any suggestions on how to take our babies camping?

It is also difficult for us to leave our ferrets at home or with anyone
and we are very active in the outdoor world. Our solution is that all
our furry kids go with us. We have incorporated them into our weekend
outings. This was not an overnight decision or quick process. Camping
with ferrets (or dogs) is a very rewarding experience for them and you.
But, it is also a lot of work and could be dangerous if not planned
for. There so many things to consider that I can not discuss them all
on this board. First question: what TYPE of camping are you thinking
of, where and for how long? The very first and necessary thing that
must be accomplished: your ferrets MUST be able and willing to wear a
HARNESS (not just a collar) for the entire camping adventure. They must
also be use to being on a lead (preferably, small retractable leash).
This training starts way before hitting the woods. It must start by
consistent training at home. Your ferrets are all young enough to
start harness training. Your ferrets should also be up to date on
vaccinations, esp. distemper. If you are past these basic things, let
me know what your plans or questions are. I am NOT any kind of expert.
I do take my ferrets into wilderness areas on a regular basis and have
learned through necessity and mistakes.

I am trying to get it together to write an article or "handbook" on
enjoying your ferret in the woods.

Lesley