From:
Marie Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jun 2004 08:57:07 -0400
I cut and paste this from the site below.  Does your ferret have a nasal
problem, with a discharge?  Blood test is usually done to check to see if
the ferret has it.  Squeaker may or may not have it.  Vet thought it was
the root from the broken cannie tooth.  But she still has the nasal
problem.  So she on meds for 21 days to clear it up.  If not cleared up
then it is a blood test.  My vet told me the other ferret she treated for
this disease took 3 months to get rid of it.

Marie and her 5 Most
Wonderful Fur Kidlets Girls
www.cdc.gov/healthypets/diseases/cryptococcus.htm

Cryptococcus Infection (cryptococcosis) and Animals

What is Cryptococcus infection (cryptococcosis)?

Cryptococcosis (Krip-toe-coc-o-sis) is a fungal disease caused
by Cryptococcus neoformans.  Most people do not get sick with
cryptococcosis, but some people are more likely than others to get
this disease.  For these people, cryptococcosis can cause serious
symptoms of brain and spinal cord disease, such as headaches,
dizziness, sleepiness, and confusion.

Can animals transmit cryptococcosis to me?

Yes, but not directly.  Cryptococcus neoformans is found in the droppings
of wild birds (such as pigeons).  When dried bird droppings are stirred
up, this can make dust containing Cryptococcus go into the air.

People can stir up this dust and then breathe it in when they work, play,
or walk in areas where birds have been.  Pets, such as dogs and cats, can
also get sick with cryptococcosis from this dust, but people do not get
cryptococcosis from dogs and cats.

A person's age and health status may affect his or her immune system,
increasing the chances of getting sick.  People who are more likely than
others to get cryptococcosis include infants, children younger than 5
years old, organ transplant patients, people with HIV/AIDS, and people
receiving treatment for cancer.