From:
Lolli Pop <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 May 2002 09:42:50 -0700
I was 17 and living with my 26-year-old boyfriend.  We broke up, we got
back together, we broke up, we got back together...it went on like that
for a while.  After we broke up the second (third??) time, I moved to
Ohio to live with my aunt.  I had to move to Ohio because I had too many
animals for my parents to let me move back with them.  When I moved, I
took my seven ferrets and my cat, and left him with his two dogs and his
snake.  Truth be told, I was scared to be alone (we'd been together for
almost three years) and I was scared to be away from Erie, PA, my
hometown, for the first time in my life.  Predictably, I went back to him.
Not to live, we just "got back together."

Some time in October of 2001 I fell in love with this tiny sable girl at
a pet store near his home.  I begged, he declined.  I begged more, he
declined.  I begged again, and after seeing her sit there, by herself,
for almost a month, he gave in.  She'd been sold.  Okay...I want a baby.
I want a baby now.  My inner four year old was throwing a temper tantrum,
so I asked if we could go check out a different store.  We did, and there
were four beautiful kids.  I took two out, and somehow or another we ended
up taking not one, but BOTH of them home.  They were Cheech and Chong.
They were my ferrets, but they were going to live with him, as my uncle
said no more in his house.  Everything was fine and dandy, I was going to
Erie each weekend with all seven furballs that lived with me, to see him
and "Da Boys."  The day after Christmas I adopted Cujo, Chaos, and Clyde.

For about a month we were a "family."  Then, things between us went to
hell again.  Unfortunately, breaking up wasn't quite as easy, because I
had to get the FIVE ferrets that lived with him to my house.  Not only
that, but I had the lovely habit of going back to him, just like
clockwork.  I needed a way to make it permanent...to not be drawn back by
his crying, begging, etc.  He'd always told me that he'd never take me
back if I cheated on him...So I did.  It was a way for me to escape,
something to make it so I *couldn't* go back.

Well..he brought me and the dozen fuzzheads home, and then "went to use
the bathroom."  He snooped in my room (right next to the bathroom) and
found something (truth be told, I don't even know what it was) that
"looked suspicious."  He called me upstairs and wanted to talk.  I was so
nervous, anxious, and afraid (he was physically violent towards me) that
rather than talking, I told him to get out of my house.  He did...right
after he grabbed Cheech and Chong out of the ferret room.  We had a pretty
little white-trash-Jerry Springer scene in front of the house, after which
he left.  Now, he did pay for the ferrets, but we'd always agreed the dogs
and snake were his, and the ferrets and cat were mine, should we break up
and not get back together.  (Remember, I was "in looove" and planned to
marry this guy, so I didn't think much about the situation actually
occurring).  As a precaution, I took the receipt for the boys on my way
out of his house.  At first I had every intention of not using the receipt
to say I had paid for them, but taking him to court for the kids.  Using
the receipt to lie to the police and say I paid for them..I couldn't do
it.  Well, since I live in a house with three other people (none of which
knows how to leave what's not theirs alone), the receipt has disappeared.
I *think* I could take him to court, as the boys were a gift.  (In a court
of law they'd be seen as personal property, not children, or I'd at least
have visitation by now.)  But, I'm moving soon, I do have ten other ferrets
(three of which are 7 years old) and a kitty to care for, along with
supporting myself.  I'm a waitress, so I can't truly afford to take him
to court.  I could, but I would have to take the money out of my "fuzz
emergency" account, and I won't do that.  I would just "leave well enough
alone," but I know the furkids that are with my ex are not taken care of.
Unfortunately, there's not much I can do regarding the whole possible
abuse/neglect situation because his *mother* is the animal enforcement
officer for Erie County.  Someone once told me that if she really cared
about the animals, she'd do the right thing.  But, I know the woman, and
I know how she feels about her son.  I'd get no help from her (I have in
fact, talked to her once since then and got an "oh well.")

I d really like any help at all, or any opinions at all, about getting my
boys back.  Any lawyers out there who want to take the case pro bono?
Heh... Seriously though, I waited a long time (five months) to bring this
to the FML, afraid of flames and hoping the situation would be resolved
by now.  Can anyone help, or offer advice or opinion?

Ellen and Crew