From:
Katherine Fritz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 10 May 1994 09:02:32 -0400
Mark,

I would strongly advise letting Gus run loose in the car while you are
                       ^against [CRL]
driving.  The last thing you want is for him to crawl under the gas pedal
or the brake just when you need to step on them!  For his own safety, and
yours, put him in a pet carrier or small collapsible cage.  When we travel
with our ferrets, we provide them with water but keep the food light,
unless there is room in the carrier/cage for a litter box.  Stop
frequently so you can let Gus out to exercise and eat and to be made much
of, as the long trip may be a little baffling to him.  Besides, frequent
stops are good for YOU, too! :-)

Be careful when traveling through FFZs, such as Michigan (I don't know if
that is on your route, but no sense taking a chance).

At any rate, that's what we've done when taking the kids on a longish trip
(not as far as you're going, though!)

I'm sure you'll hear from others, as well.

Good luck, and home to see you back on the FML when you get where you're
going!

[We "experimented" with letting our ferret loose in the car while
driving.  *Much* too distracting.]

Katie Fritz
CompuServe Small Mammals Section (S11) Co-Leader, Pets/Animals Forum
Internet: [log in to unmask]   CompuServe: 71257,3153