From:
Amy Seyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Oct 1996 09:10:08 -0500
Andrea, last year I took my 4 1/2 y.o.  MF ferret in to have adrenals
removed (she had a bilateral removal).  At the time, the operating vet
noticed a large tumor on her pancreas, which he removed.  She had not been
showing signs of insulinoma at that point.

I think you can generally have both problems taken care of at the same time.
That way, it's ONE surgery and ONE recovery.  As far as I'm concerned, ANY
time a vet has to open up your pet, he/she should take a quick look around
to see that everything else is in place.

As far as Bean's hypoglycemic episodes, you did the right thing by putting
sugar water on her gums.  I don't think the sub-qs were necessary, but I'm
sure they didn't hurt.  When my ferret Ian used to have "episodes," all we
did was rub Kayro on his gums.  Sometimes it took him almost a half hour to
come out of it.

You may want to talk to your vet about the possibility of putting Bean on
prednisone for now to stabilize her system before surgery.  If you can put
off having the adrenal removed for a few weeks, you'd give the medicine time
to work.  But you should check with your vet, as right adrenals are a bit
riskier than left.

Amy & Dave (and their gaggle of giggling ferrets)
RIP Ian and Elektra