From:
Charleen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Nov 2004 08:54:13 -0800
I think if you have been involved in the ferret community for very long,
you would understand why we don't want Petsmart to sell ferrets!

I doubt you can find a ferret shelter in the US that doesn't have an
over abundance of Petco (Marshall Farm) ferrets needing homes!  I can't
imagine how the shelters could handle ferrets coming from Petsmart if
they start selling ferrets.

I have been involved in adoption/education at Petco's and Petsmarts for
many, many years and it has not seemed to help at all!  The shelters I am
involved with still have a full shelter of Marshall Farm ferrets and all
most all of them from Petco's.

I could understand Pet Stores selling ferrets if there wasn't an over
abundance of ferrets needing homes that sit and wait at the shelters.

Sure it's nice to start out with a kit, I will admit I loved my years
with kits even thou they are much more work then a ferret that is a
couple years old.  But they don't stay kits that long and within a few
years you are facing all the health problems that these "Marshall Farm"
(Ferret Mill ferrets have!  No matter what food you feed and how good of
care you give them, they still most likely going to get Adrenal Problems,
Insulinoma problems and many other problems.  Then how many people want
to deal with this, instead they all figure "OH ITS TIME TO GIVE THEM TO
THE SHELTERS AND LET THEM HANDLE THE HEALTH PROBLEMS"!

Why are shelters upset!  Just imagine how many more ferrets will now
end up at shelters when people decide they don't want them anymore.
Will there be shelters for these ferrets to go to.  The Humane Societies,
Animal Control offices usually will call the shelters when they get
ferrets in or they will end up putting them to sleep!

Yes, many shelters try to educate people at Petcos and Petsmarts does it
really do any good?

If these places would only open up where there really are no ferrets and
no shelters then that would be great.  But I doubt that is what is going
to happen.  They are going to open up in Places that have an over
abundance of ferrets in shelters, Like Oregon, Washington, New Jersey,
Texas, Ohio, Illinois, New York, Pa, Maryland, Florida, Nevada, Utah,
and lets not forget that California has more ferrets then any other
state, even thou they are not legal!

This is why I for one am so upset to find out Petsmart is considering
selling ferrets in their stores.

I know one state that cannot handle anymore Pet Store ferrets!  We do
not have the shelters to handle more ferrets!  I for one would rather
see ferret breeders in this state, because at least MOST of them are
more careful who they adopt out to and wait will the ferrets are mature
before they neuter/spay them!

Charleen and the Washington State Tails