From:
Millie Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Oct 1998 11:20:49 -0600
Well, I went and bought a 50 lb bag of rice from Sams.  $13.99, and I
looked around for a larger bag, it just didn't look that big in the store.

Brought it home and started pouring it into the clear plastic storage box I
had bought for $12.99 at Walmart.  I wasn't going to make it too deep
before I knew how they would like it.  Probably used an 8th and if I filled
that big container, it would not even be a half so I am going to have to
learn to like rice even better than I have been liking it.

The noise of the pouring brought them out of the woodwork.  They dove in
and instead of just burying their nose, they buried the whole heads.  The
sides were kinda high but they still flipped rice over into the floor.  The
playing didn't last long.  It was no time quick they got out, trotted their
little selves over to the sandbox I had yet to remove from the room, and
went back to their routine in the sandbox.  No question this old recycled
catbox of $1.67 sand was the favorite.  Both boxes have been in there 2
days now.  I "catch" more ferrets in the sand than rice.

And why am I bothering to have this in the house anyway.  They go outside
for over 20 minutes every day and normally dig a hole deep enough I am
panicing cause they go out of sight.  I fear they won't be able to get back
out by themselves, but its their nature to do this, they love it, I am
annoyed, nervous, anxious, and I still let them do it anyway.  As Barbara
says, we try and we try and we try, then we try something new

For the ferretone (really olive oil at my place), I use a cleaned Clarol
Nice & Easy hair coloring bottle.  The long spout works great for us and it
lets out just a drop at a time and they lick furiously, some times chew a
little but it doesn't hurt the spout.  Also, if I need to squirt something
like a pill , it is neat for that too.  Have a couple sitting around up
high because I forget where I used them the last time.(bottles not
ferrets).

Millie & her noble cleaning crew
Easy Off:  the most perfect ferret in the whole wide world
Ammonia:  Grandma, can I dress up like a dumb silver mitt to go trick or
          treating??
Cascade:  Oh, Joy, you are such a drag anymore.  There's more to life
          than just hobs hobs hobs.
Ajax:  Pssst, Uncle Dizzy, over here under the rice, quick, Joy won't
       find us here.
Dizzy: I think the vet really operated on the wrong end when he went
       to desex her.
Joy:  Oh, here boys, here I come, little Joy is going to scratch your
      big old tummies again.