From:
Gary Lowder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 1994 06:05:37 -0500
Marc,

Re: " winning strategies for litter box training ferrets"

Someone had a way recently in the FML (I think).  Start with the ferrets
confined to one room.  Place litter box in the corner to be used.  Place towels
in the other corners.  (personal experience -> use a room without much furniture
against walls -> fewer corners)  The ferrets shouldn't use the toweled corners
as readily (why poop in a potential sleeping spot <g>?)  As the ferrets become
accustomed to using their litter box (by the way - it must be kept clean or it
won't be used) remove the towels a few at a time and see waht happens.  If the
ferrets continue useing only their litter box, begin to allow them access to
more rooms, a little at a time.

 You'll have to devise some sort of barracade.  An expandible child's gate with
cardboard on the ferret side (otherwise they'll scale mine) works wonders.  This
lets you step into and out of the quarantine areas without the ferrets
following.

You may find that you need a couple of boxes throughout the whole house (with
short little legs its hard to imagine having to run far to go to the bathroom
<g>).  I've had really good success, and my two ferrets have a pretty good
hit/miss ratio now.

Hope it helps some.

Gary Lowder