Date:
Thu, 1 Dec 1994 08:11:16 EST
To Rebecca concerning fireplaces:

        The way we've ferret-proofed our fireplace is to go tothe fireplace
store and get one of the brass and glass fireplace covers.  They are very
attractive, and cover the whole opening.  As ther are wire doors on the inside
of the glass doors, when we have a fire, we open the glass doors and the ferrets
can look through the wire doors and the fire and enjoy the warmth.  There's no
way they can get around it if it is of the proper size and installed properly.

To Heather and the crew:

        We have made a PVC maze for the ferrets in their room.  Get the 3" or 4"
diameter PVC and a lot of corners, bends and joints.  They should have a lot of
entrances and exits from the maze.  Because of the cost, we started with three
6' sections and add another every month or two.  Another trick our guys love is
to get some of the plastic jingle balls and put them inside the PVC so they can
push them around and around with their noses.

       Bruce Williams, DVM                 Department of Veterinary Pathology
       [log in to unmask]         Armed Forces Institute of Pathology
       (202) 782-2600/2602                 Washington, D.C.  20306-6000