From:
Gail Elsey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Feb 2002 19:30:36 -0500
Took Star into the vet this morning for the necropsy.  Got a call about an
hour and half later.  Star is dead because if me.  Star had an intestinal
blockage from a small black rubber "nipple like" thing.  I have no clue
what this could be.  All I know is that she died in my care.  I am so
sorry Star!

I have considered trying to find homes for my other three as I am
obviously not a very good ferret owner (reconsidered this as I could never
part with my babies).  I have no clue how this happened.  I have seen
intestinal blocks in reptiles and they always show symptoms before dying.
8 hours or less from the time I found her she was healthy.  No symptoms
whatsoever.  Of course, with the 3 others, I cannot tell you if she was
pooping, but she was eating and drinking.  She got her normal treats and
dove head first into the food.  Will a blockage cause death that quickly?

I cannot bear to part with my other three, although they might want to
part with me (I woke them up nearly every hour last night to make sure
they were OK.  They were quite grumpy this morning at 4 Am when I stuck my
hand in to make them get up and walk).  This quilt I feel is overwhelming.
I keep asking myself what if I had skipped the grocery store and making
lunches and got them out of the enclosure an hour earlier?

There is no way I could give them up.  As for their room, I went through
everything with a flashlight and my escape-hole stick, prodded and prying
into everything.  Found lots of goodies, including several pairs of socks,
but nothing dangerous.  I removed all the dog toys and their toys (they
are quite upset about this, but responded to a ferratone bribe), even the
newspaper box.  My three made me smile by trying to jump into (and
through) the aquarium glass.

Thank you everyone for your kind words and thoughts.
Gail