From:
"Ronald L. Sims" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 22:52:22 -0700
Dooks to all from NE Michigan.

Troy Lynn, you are correct, ferrets are not rodents.  The incisor teeth
of rodents (the front teeth, I believe) continually grow and they must be
ground down by the foods they eat.  Perhaps an entymologist could help in
this catagory, but when I took biology, about a million years ago when the
world was young and so was I, there are a number of animals that have this
difficulty of the growing incisor teeth.  They included the Beaver, Rabbit,
Squirrel, Rats, Mice, etc.  (at least I think that was what they were).
But the ferret is a carnavore (SP?) and is a meat eater, similar to
canines, and felines and that the majority of their chewing is on the
molars (for grinding the food) and the incisors and canine (eye-teeth)
teeth are used for tearing meat apart for the molars to grind down, and
then allow the food to continue through the digestive processess.  At any
rate, I believe that was what I was taught when we still hand dinosaurs
for pets and pushed our stone vehichles with our bear (oops, bare) feet.
By the way, this was hard on the feet when we had to stop the vehicle.

God's blessings to all, and I hope I haven't muddied the everglades too
much with this explanation.

Rev.Ronald L. Sims,D.D.& Family: 8 (sometimes more) hooman-beans owned
by 9 fabulous fuzzies, 5 crazy canines, 5 frisky felines (3 kittens are
growing-not Sabre-tooth, I hope), 6 finney fishes and a pear-tree without
the partridge, but still protected by the Architech of the Universe for
all time.