From:
"McCowen, Melissa (IndSys,ADM)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 15:25:00 -0500
Quickie intro: I'm a ferret newbie in Knoxville TN, my fiance Harry and
I have two kits, Mischief (F, 5 mos) and Max (M, 12 weeks).  I've been
lurking on the list for about 4 months.

We went to PetSmart last night for litter and toys and I bought a couple of
"squeaky" toys to train the ferts to come.  Took them upstairs to the large
unfinished attic room to let them run and brought along the "newspaper"
squeaker.  As soon as I let them down they took off, exploring the various
boxes scattered around the room.  After a few minutes I decided to test the
squeaker.  Both ferts came running, and Mischief was "talking" to the
squeaker the whole time - not her usual dook, but more of a crooning noise.
So I squeaked it a couple more times then dropped it for her to inspect.
She sniffed it over, but when it didn't squeak any more she hissed at it
then grabbed Max and started vigorously cleaning his ears!  When it turned
out that the squeaker wasn't a baby she decided that *somebody* was going
to get mothered and poor Max was the victim!

By the way, at 12 weeks old Max is almost as big as Mischief (she's 1 lb
13 oz he's 1 lb 10 oz)!

Happy dooking!

Melissa M.