From:
Toni Foster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jun 2006 08:46:19 -0700
Hi everyone, I would like to share some recent knowledge with you that I
required the hard way.  My Ferret (Peewee) came down with a strain of ECE
that did not respond with any treatments my Vet came up with.  My vet is
wonderful and he specializes in exotic animals.  He adores Ferrets and is
very knowledge.  Here is how it all came down.  Please bare with me I am
not a writer by any means I am an Animal lover and a antique doll doctor.

My oldest (Peewee) came down with the dreaded green slime diarrhea.  It
hit him fast and hard.  He was put on Clavamox and Loperamide for 2 weeks
and it didn't work.  Then we dried Pepto-Bismol and it didn't work.  (I
know Pepto is not the drug of choice for Ferrets but I was willing to try
anything to save my Ferret).  We tried that for another week.  In the
mean time I was giving him every kind of duck soup you can imagine.  I
had to force feed him every 4 hours.  He hated all the meds and tried to
scratch his face off when I gave him anything!  This little guy was
miserable.  In the mean time my other 3 came down with it too!  I was
giving all the meds to all of them and nothing worked.  I prayed and
cried and was totally going out of my mind.  I had all of them separated
and cleaned all the syringes and droppers and bowls.  I kept the cages
spotless (I worked in a hospital when I was young and the training came
in handy).  Well, I was at my wits end.  I went to bed exhausted every
night for 3 weeks.  One night as I said my prayers God reminded me of a
Health store owner that I had met 15 years ago.  I also reminded me of
how sick my son was as a baby.  I put Pedialyte in the water bottles!
Non flavored.  So the next morning I went to see if he was still at the
same location.  By the grace of God he was!  My heart lifted because I
knew he could help.  Sure enough in his broken English (he is from India
and 80 years old) he said follow me.  He took me straight to a product
called Diarrex.  It is all natural and made by Hylands.  He couldn't
understand what a Ferret was but he knew it was a animal and I loved
them.  He said it would take care of the problem fast!  I thanked him and
went home and gave them all a dose.  I gave them 1/2 a tablet dissolved
in .2 mil of water 4 times in the next 24 hours.  They didn=92t hate it
and didn=92t scratch their faces.  2 of my ferts were better in 24 hours
and 1 was better in 36 hours.  The older one (Peewee) it took him 4 days
but it worked!  The following week anytime one showed a sign of the green
slime I gave them a dose and it went away.  I am happy to say they are
all doing well and by the grace of God, a wonderful Indian man, Dr.
Greek, My husband for putting up with me and my friend Robin Jones (The
Ferret Charmer) they are all thriving.

Thank you God and all of the wonderful people who love Ferrets!