From:
moulitsas markos chr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 1995 23:37:19 -0600
    Recently, I took my ferret into class (I'm a student at Northern
Illinois University) for a presentation on ferrets and FFZs.  The experience
highlighted many of the common reactions to ferrets.

    We took a quiz at the start of class, and my Zoe ran around happily
crawling into book bags and sniffing up pant legs.  A female student, who
came to class late, refused to sit anywhere near the area Zoe was checking
out at the moment.  Well, eventually she came around to this student's part
of the classroom, and she literally climbed on top of her desk in fear.  She
then left the classroom after mumbling something about a "bad experience"
she'd once had with a rodent.  A rodent!!!!!

    Sigh.....At least I was able to use her reaction as an example of the
irrational fear and ignorance that leads to the creation of FFZs.

    After that, however, things went well. It is trully amazing howmost
people react to ferrets once they realize that they don't "stink", and that
they are truly sweet animals.  Zoe helped the cause by crawling inside
someone's winter hat, where she wiggled about to the delight of the class.
It was too cute for words.  People then asked all sorts of questions until
the professor cut off discussion for other class matters.  People trully
could not get enough of her little yawns.

    The moral of the story?  Most people can learn to appreciate ferrets
once they get past their initial misconceptions and prejudices.  Yet, there
are those who truly can never be reached.

    Pity.

Markos (and my better half--Zoe)