From:
Brent and Theresa Goodman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Aug 1999 09:39:23 -0000
>From:    Todd Leuthold <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferret Playmate
>NOTE: Take your current fuzzbutt along and introduce her to any
>prospective ferret, first.

Ok, so we tried this.  We have been looking for a second ferret to play
with our 3-year old spoiled rotten only ferret, Sydney.  (Syd responds:
Yes, I am spoiled, and I like it that way!  Don't rock the boat bringin a
baby in here to steal all my stuff!) Sydney has been king of the castle,
center of our universe for those 3 years and seems to like the deal he's
got.  When we took him to the pet store to audition the little ones, he
had no interest whatsoever.  We brought in one kit at a time, sat in the
little play room there, and these babies were soooooooooooooo cute, and
very friendly towards Syd.  One of them even pounced on his tail, trying to
provoke him a little.  Syd just stuck his nose a little higher in the air
and continued to smell the baseboards.  No agression at all, just imperial
boredom.

He has acted like this with all other animals, regardless of species.  My
in-laws' cats were merely part of the furniture.  My parents' papillions,
who patiently followed him from room to room, were certainly nothing worth
playing with (I thought maybe at least those big swooshie tails might have
been fun).  He literally acted like they were not even there.  So I wasn't
entirely surprised by the pet store reaction to the baby ferts.  But I was
still very disappointed.

So here's my question: Is this something Sydney would eventually get over
if we brought another ferret home?  We don't want to get another if it's
only going to be frustrated by Sydney's lack of attention.  My husband
doesn't want to upset Sydney either -- Syd's pouting fits are really
something!!!  (Who knew God could fit so much personality in such a tiny
little creature?) On the other hand, I feel like Syd is really missing out
on some great play time and companionship.  And we are missing out on the
exponential increase in love and fun that I hear ferret math brings.

Please let me know what your experiences have been!

Theresa ("But those babies were so precious!  He'll fall in love
eventually!")
Brent ("Shhhhhhh!  Don't let Syd hear you!  If we upset the Emperor, we'll
have to break out the hurricane supplies.")
Sydney ("Why do you squander my precious time dragging me to these insipid
pet stores?  Before you cross me, remember what happened when you took the
legs off the sofa.......")