From:
Anne Willingham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Oct 2006 13:09:56 -0500
I too added a kitten to the mix a little over a year ago, back when all
five old kids were still with me.  The initial meeting was hesitant on
the part of all parties for sure and once the kitty outgrew the old boys,
I had to seperate them all.  He played much to enthusiastically with the
fuzzies for my comfort and they seemed fairly disgruntled that he was
disturbing their rest.  Max the Cat ended up imprinting on the dog
instead and I ended up with a Dogcat instead of a Weaselcat.

Fast forward to this morning.  Sadly all of my old kids have passed on in
the intervening year.  I now have Claudius, a foster that never left, and
Jakey, his new little brother.  Both are crazed fuzzies about a year old.
I sent the dogs out to play and sat on the floor roughhousing with the
fuzzies.  Max the Cat went into Great Hunter mode and perched on the bed
footboard just waiting.  He's a peristant kitty, as this game always ends
the same.  With a well timed leap he took on Jakey, a big fat galumping
boy with potent and powerful teeth.  Jake bit back (as he always does)
and found a very sensitive kitty spot.  Max the Cat let go and hauled
butt from the room.  Jake was right behind him.  Zing!  There goes the
kitty.  Galump, galump, galump- here comes Jake dancing for all he's
worth.  "Get the Kitty" is actually one of my boys favorite games, and
as Max the Cat is prone to initiate it, he seems to enjoy it as well.

Sooooo... the moral of the story is that the cat and my old fuzzies
didn't mix well at all, but the new kids and the kitty get along
famously.  I think it all has to do with energy levels.  The cat seems
to realize the tolerance level of the ferrets and is very careful to
play sweetly.  When he crosses the line they go play under things.  When
they get too rough with him he leaves the room or gets up high.  But for
the most part, it is a delight to watch them interact and play.  They
seem tickled by it as well.

(The poor puppies are never allowed to play as they get excited and too
enthusiastic.  Like Alexandra's pup, they stand at the baby gates and act
pitiful.)

Anne adn the menagerie