From:
Scott lehman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Feb 1997 20:23:39 -0000
Hi all,

Well, it finally happened.  I suppose that I was under the impression that
some things only happen to others and could never happen to one of my
babies.  Well, was I ever wrong.  I am referring to vaccination reaction.  I
took Merlin in Saturday for his yearly distemper booster and he had a severe
reaction to it.  Before the shot, the vet had commented on his energy level
and alertness, after the shot, Merlin was throwing up, had diarrea,
extremely lethargic and his tail was fully bottle-brushed.  He had gone from
being 110% ferret to bean bag all in the space of five minutes.  Dr Zehr
stated that Merlin was the first ferret that he had ever treated that had
had a reaction to the vaccine.  He also stated that since the reaction was
so severe that he recommended that he not receive another booster, that he
should be safe as long as I don't bring in any new animals, don't have any
animals that go outside, or go to any shows.  He said that on the other
hand, distemper is fatal and that if I chose to risk having him vaccinated
in the future, that we would need to take him early in the morning, leave
him, and they would administer an anti-inflamatory drug prior to the shot
itself and they would monitor him for the remainder of the day.  Talk about
the choices I have here!!

I realize that I have a year in which to come to a decision, but I would
like to get some input from some of the veterinarians.  Which risk is
greater?--the vaccination or lack of.  I want to do what is best for Merlin,
but I don't want to expose him to distemper nor do I wish to risk his life
by having the vaccination administered to him.  This is a hard call to make.

Thank you for any input and advice.

A ferret friend

Margaret Ann and her babies: Princess, Gismo, Harley, Scooter, Coco,
Merlin, Rusty, Fancy and Daisy, and of course, Scott