From:
Rob Stenzel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jul 2001 12:19:01 -0400
Right now I have two ferrets.  About a year ago, I adopted Buck,Male 2 1/2
now 3 1/2, from a shelter.  About 6 months later, my dad's friend needed
to find a new home for their ferret Stinky,Female 4 1/2 now 5.  It didn't
take them too long to get used to each other but now they seem to fight.
Actually, I don't know if it is fighting or playing.  If anyone is familiar
with the Ferrets for Dummies book, what Stinky does to Buck is called the
"Alligator Roll".  Its when Stink will jump at Buck from his side and he
then rolls on to his back.  She then goes around on top of him and will
bite his neck.  Now, when she bites, it is not a small little nip and then
let go.  Its a strong bite where she holds on and latches her mouth to his
skin.  Buck will then let out a long yelp or screeching noise.  The only
way I can get Stinky's mouth off of Buck's neck is if I stick my ginger
between her teeth to pry her mouth open.

I saw a video on the net of someone who had a digging box for their ferrets
and there were about 4 ferrets in the box.  I saw that they would jump at
each other just like Stinky does to Buck but it all seems so rough and
vicious.  It really worries me because of how rough it looks and I feel
bad for Buck because he never starts it, if she does it to him, he will
fight back and wrestle her.  All I want to know is if this is fighting or
is this just a way that ferrets play?

Thank You

Rob Stenzel