From:
Rochelle X <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Jan 1995 15:13:48 -0500
        I will try to make this message as short as I can, but I feel the need
to respond to the various posts about MF ferrets.   (Personally, I feel that
everyone has missed the point in the previous posts.)  In order to make my
point clear, I will use an example from dog breeding.
        Ms. Jones & Ms. Smith both breed dogs.  Ms. Jones is what is typically
referred to as a "reputable breeder" - she only breeds a litter once every
couple of years.  She spends weeks and weeks investigating breed lines, trying
to find a dog that would complement hers, and checking to make sure there are
no hints of genetic problems that might occur in the offspring.  When the
puppies are born, she makes sure they get all the medical attention they could
need - both optional shots and tests as well as the basic ones.  She spends so
much money assuring their health that she very rarely makes money on a litter -
she breeds to improve the breed, and only hopes to break even.  And even if she
did make a little money on a litter, it quickly disappears in the expenses she
incurs rescueing and fostering abandoned dogs.
        Ms. Smith on the other hand breeds in order to make money.  While her
pups do get the necessary shots, she doesn't spend the money on the extra
tests that Ms. Jones does.  Often, she just breeds her female to the male down
the street, and she breeds as often as she possibly can.  Breeding is a
business for her, and unless she makes money at it, she doesn't see much
purpose in doing it.
        Now, the dogs from Ms. Smith are just as wonderful as those from Ms.
Jones.  Sure, the extra time Ms. Jones puts into researching lines must come
into play somewhere, but most of Ms. Smiths' dogs seem perfectly fine.  But if
I were to buy a dog, I'd go to Ms. Jones.  Not because Ms. Smith's are in any
way inferior, but just because I prefer to support someone like Ms. Jones.  I
feel better knowing my money is going to someone who truly breeds because they
love the animal, rather than to someone who breeds for the money.
        The same goes when I go to *purchase* a ferret - I'll rescue any animal
that needs it, but if I'm going to support someone monetarily, I'd prefer to
support the small-time breeder than the big-business breeder.  (Especially
since many, if not most, small-time breeders also run shelters, and spend
literally thousands of dollars a year on ferrets that were neglected, or
abandoned as soon as they got sick - If anyone needs the money, its them).
        This doesn't mean MF ferrets are bad - I have two, and I love them
just as much as my other ferret.  But just as I prefer not to buy Exxon
gasaline, I prefer to support someone who truly loves ferrets, rather than
someone who sees them as a way to make a buck.

-Rochelle