From:
Anne Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 08:49:40 EST
To go a little further with Sukies great post...

She is right on about the litter pan...if you cringe at the thought of
buying Marshalls pans, there is another brand (PetSmart carries it) that
is similar and we have found to be better quality (has a higher gloss
surface making cleaning and sanitizing easier.).  Can't recall the brand
offhand, but they also make the pretty much useless corner pans too.
Rather than newspaper (we don't like to use it as we feel they think it
is ok, then we end yup with a peed on Sunday comics section before all
have had the chance to read it) I would sugest either a pelletized recycled
paper (Kozy Korner is GREAT) or a puppy training pad in the bottom of the
pan.

I think one also needs to judge the level of recouperation on the type of
surgery.  Obviously an ardrenalectomy is a major, invasive surgery, however
removal of a tooth, small skin tumor or chordoma from the tail is not
really very invasive, and most ferret are back up and about within an
hour or so of surgery.  In cases like this, espescially if there are no
stitches, there really isn't any reason to keep the operatee seperated from
it's cagemetes, unless they seem under the weather or the cagemates are
rowdies.  In that case, perhaps adding a quiet cagemate to the recuperation
cage or room might be a good idea so the operatee doesn't feel lonely.

Just some thoughts.

Anne