From:
Claire C <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Jan 2008 13:49:13 -0500
One the one hand, I wish the authorities who seized nearly 100 ferrets
from the Tidewater Ferret Rescue had cut the owner some slack, or at
least handled the media better. The VA ASPCA woman said they didn't
normally take in ferrets, but this was an exception - that sounds to
me like they feel partially responsible, since they are also mentioned
as working with Tidewater and sending ferrets to her. I just wish that
they had ordered the shelter operator to remedy the situation (as Fred
suggested), or that other ferret rescues were called in, because I'm
sure that the 61 ferrets who "had to be put down" had medical issues
that are nearly routine in the ferret rescue community, but which
are considered "beyond help" by organizations such as the SPCA. So I
certainly don't like the way the seizure was conducted.

On the other hand, this is the sort of action we have advocated in
other circumstances, and I think we should be glad that the authorities
felt action was necessary. The spokesperson on the video said that
conditions were "deplorable", and therefore warranted seizure -- even
though the conditions were considerably better than those at the Ohio
rescue site, where authorities basically said "it's not pretty, but
they aren't breaking the law". So at least in Virginia, the standard of
acceptable care is obviously higher, which is something we have been
working towards.

-Claire